Thursday, May 29, 2008

Self Help


I can’t help but feel amused at the number of times lately that I have found myself standing and searching for a book that is recommended reading, and it is in the “Self Help” section of the bookstore. I have fun seeing myself in others eyes as having been just dumped, not coping – a scene straight out of 'Bridget Jone's Diary'. Small things can make me smile :o) It is interesting how we view ourselves isn’t it? Often, it is the opposite as to how others really see us.

So from all my readings, listening and learning, a common thread weaves through my life. An awareness that I became conscious of a few years ago, after reading another book! That is Gratitude. I have read that gratitude; love and appreciation are the highest forms of vibrations and when you are having these thoughts, there is no room for the negative feelings. As more of your feelings, thoughts and words become positive you start attracting more of the same feelings thoughts and words. Same attracts same.

I have used a gratitude journal, one that I would write 5 things into which I was grateful for that day. I haven’t used it for a while, but I still take the time and run these thoughts through my mind before I go to sleep each night.

Last nights list was; giving thanks for the beautiful sunny day we had after such a cold start in the morning. I was grateful for having a cassette player in my car, so that I could listen to something undisturbed whilst driving. I was grateful for my son who came up to my office for a visit and a wonderful hug. I gave thanks for finding a few hours to work on my coarse work, which is rare to find. I was so grateful for my wonderful warm bed at the end of a long day and gave thanks for so many things that I have and hope never to take them for granted.

Self help is just what it says, to help self - thats you! Be aware of all the great qualities you have, take some time to list them down. See in yourself what others see and take control of you. Find things to be grateful for each and every day. Even after a horrible, taxing, flu ridden day, look for a bright moment. Someone who was being kind to you or another person, putting on your slippers at the end of a long day, or just knowing that the day is over and the sun will come up again in the morning to begin another wonderful day.

“To change the world, you must change yourself first. To help the world, you must help yourself first. To understand the world, you must understand your self first.” Annette Noontil

No comments: